We all tested as "Tasters". At first I thought maybe the strips were faulty, but a friend tested as a "Non-taster", so the strips are valid. We just all happen to be Tasters.
A lot of fun...the strips taste bad if you're a Taster, but that's the point! :)Product seems to be authentic, since two of the people who tested these strips experienced a bitter taste and two of us did not.
When I went to high school (this was in the 1960s) one of my science teachers passed the strips out to everyone in our class of perhaps 20 to 25 students. As I recall, most of the students reacted to the bitter taste by "acting out" melodramatically. One or two of us had no reaction at all since the strips didn't taste bitter to us.
I recently ran across an article by UK Kim and D Drayna in "Clinical Genetics" about the PTC gene, "a member of the T2R family of bitter taste receptor genes. It exists in seven different allelic forms, although only two of these, designated the major taster and major non-taster forms, exist at high frequency outside sub-Subharan Africa. The non-taster allele resides on a small chromosal region identical by descent, indicating that non-tasters are descended from an ancient founder individual, and consistent with an origin of the non-taster allele preceding the emergence of modern humans out of Africa."
There is a wealth of information online about PTC (phenylthiocarbamide), it's accidental discovery by a DuPont chemist, Arthur Fox in 1931, genes, alleles and natural selection. Just "google it:" ptc +taster
Buy PTC TASTE PAPER VIAL/100 STRIPS Now
The strips were great... I'm not sure if it's because my whole family is of Asian decadents but we all tasted bitter and I had some friends taste it. They had different levels of bitterness. One of my friend can faintly taste while I taste it once it hits my tongue.Read Best Reviews of PTC TASTE PAPER VIAL/100 STRIPS Here
This product comes in a tiny vial packed with very very thin strips of paper laced with a chemical that is very bitter to those known as "supertasters." These people have more fungiform papillae than the normal person, and the taste of foods are intensified for them. I bought these strips to settle my curiosity: was my girlfriend a supertaster? Was I a nontaster? Turns out, the answer is "Yes" to both. Now, what do we do with the other 98 strips? Distribute to friends or a science class probably...If you are a nontaster, these strips will taste like nothing -you'll be able to feel the paper in your mouth, and maybe a strange (but very slight) bitterness.
If you are a supertaster, you will not be able to wait to get those strips out of your mouth. My girlfriend had to brush her teeth immediately to get the haunting bitter taste out of her mouth.
If you are a regular taster, these strips will be mildly bitter.
For the price, these strips are great. I bought them from ScienceShopUSA, and they charged quite a bit for shipping. Because they mail things via Priority Mail, it came very quickly, but I just wish I could have gotten standard boring snail mail and saved a few bucks.It did exactly what it was supposed to. It was fun finding out that I'm a super-tester and my poor boyfriend is just a normal, boring regular taster lol



0 comments:
Post a Comment