I searched for some time around the Internet and found other users having the same problem. Tried a few different apps Endomondo, HRNavi, etc. Nothing worked. I tried searching the forums on Polar's website (which I have other issues with, by the way) and found nothing. A bunch of other users with the exact-same problem.
So, I searched Google Play until I found an app that finally worked MapMyRun. Its heart rate monitor settings picked up the H7 the first time with no issues. Then, I found that the developer that created MapMyRun had also created a set of apps such as MapMyWalk, MapMyFitness, MapMyHike, etc. They ALL work with the H7. So, I fired up a Shaun T Insanity video, strapped on the H7, launched MapMyFitness, and the app tracked my peak heartrate during my workout, the average heartrate, and even a calculation of calories burned. Worked flawlessly.
So, the issue is not my phone. The issue is not the H7. The issue is the apps that are not fully compatible with the H7. If you check the Google Play descriptions for the apps I tried above, they all say to use their apps with the Polar Wearlink+, not the Polar H7. Funny... it would have been nice to find this information BEFORE completing my purchase. But, you know... I searched on Amazon's website for "polar wearlink+" and every device that came up in my search results was not what I was looking for either I found the "Coded" model, or the "Nike+" model, but no model that specifically said "Wearlink+". So, I bought the H7.
Well, I'm stuck with the H7 now. So, yes, I will chalk this up to me not doing my research fully. The device works GREAT with my Droid RAZR and the MapMyFitness suite of apps, so I rank it FIVE STARS for that reason. It will not work with the apps I wanted to use it with specifically, Cardiotrainer but I will not downgrade my rating just because I did not do my research.
For those of you looking to purchase the H7, if you have an iPhone 4, this is the device for you. If you have a Motorola Droid RAZR and want to use this with the MapMyFitness suite of apps, this is the device for you. However, if you have any Android device and want to use any other HRM-compatible app, I highly recommend you search for the Polar Wearlink+.Once I managed to hack my way into the package (I hate those plastic packages that everything comes in now) I had it synced up and working with Strava on a iPhone 4s in just a few seconds. Also worked fine with Endomondo app. Used it while cycling with iPhone in back jersey pocket not problem staying connected and supplying the app with heart rate info during the ride. The battery life of the iPhone wasnt impacted I get about 4hrs while using a GPS tracking app.
I've got about 150 miles in with this strap no issues with connectivity, battery life or comfort. The strap connector is a small metal hook that fastens into an elastic loop. I haven't had any issue with it, but in general its not as nice as some other straps that I have used that had a more robust belt-like plastic buckle.
The native support, no dongle or anything else to plug into the phone, makes this really nice.
UPDATE: Bluetooth connection remains after you are done with your work-out. After stopping the recording of Strava or Endomondo, the Bluetooth connection remains b/t your phone (iPhone 4s in my case) and the HRM. I burned one battery before I figured out what was going on. When I'm done now I try to remember to actually kill the app.
Buy Polar H7 Bluetooth Smart Heart Rate Sensor Now
I bought this to use with my endomondo app on my iPhone 4s and it works perfectly! It was very easy to pair too. Just make sure the bluetooth is turned on for the iphone. Then open endomondo, go to settings, and click on heart rate. From that point it will instruct you to pair your Polar H7. Just follow the steps and you should be paired in several seconds. That's it. Your done! The instructions are worthless. The only thing that I got from it was to make sure you rinse your belt and device after every use. The sweat can cause premature damage and wear. I probably would have given it a 5 star, but the instructions were useless and it made me waste 5 minutes reading it before I realized it didn't tell you exactly how to pair it to your phone.Read Best Reviews of Polar H7 Bluetooth Smart Heart Rate Sensor Here
If people are having difficulties with their Polar H7 Sensor integrating/syncing with other third-party fitness apps, then I would highly recommend using the Polar Beat app from the App Store if you have an iPhone 4S/5. At this time, the app is not compatible with Android but Polar says they are working on it and hopefully it will be available soon.I used the Polar H7 with Polar Beat during my workout this morning, and both performed flawlessly. The app and H7 synced perfectly on the first try and Bluetooth connection was maintained during my 5k workout. The strap is comfortable and easily cleaned by rinsing. Heed the warning on the label, do not machine wash the strap! Other straps used on Polar products may be machine washable, but this one isn't so be aware of that. As with other Polar heart sensors, the battery is easily removable and the type of battery needed is clearly labeled on the back.
If you already have an iPhone 4S/5, I would highly recommend picking up the H7. Together with the Polar Beat app, you have a very useful workout tool.
Want Polar H7 Bluetooth Smart Heart Rate Sensor Discount?
If I'd written this review at any point in the first 5 weeks I owned it, I'd have given the H7 5 stars. It worked perfectly with Digifit on my iPhone 5, and simultaneously transmitted on 5KHz to my Polar 725. A week and a half ago, however, it quit transmitting on Bluetooth in the middle of a workout. I've emailed Polar support and gotten absolutely no response not even an acknowledgement of the email. It's still happily transmitting on 5KHz, but neither Digifit nor Polar's own app will talk to it anymore. I've replaced the battery.The product is great when it works, but both from my personal experience and the negative reviews here Polar obviously has severe quality control and reliability issues. Their support is pretty much nonexistent, which came as quite a shock after over a decade of using their products. I'm extremely dissatisfied. At this point I wouldn't recommend any Polar product to anyone.



0 comments:
Post a Comment