-All mats are very, VERY sticky when they are brand new. They will shred your paper if you are not careful with them. Solution: Get some of the stickyness out by rubbbing a cotton T-shirt all over the mat. The barely visable fuzz from the shirt will soften the sticky to a managable level for your paper while not interferring with the blade.
-Sticky wears off after time. This is not really true but it seems like it. The real problem is dust and paper fibers adhere to the mat over time and block the sticky. Solution: Rinse with cool water and rub some dish soap with your hands over the mat. This will remove the debris thats blocking the sticky. Let air dry when done.
-Washed the mat way too many times and now the sticky really IS gone. This happens much later on in the life of the mat. Solution: Buy a can of spray adhesive (Making Memories Slice Removeable Adhesive works GREAT) or a broad tipped glue pen and reglue the mat yourself. Make sure it is completely dry before use. If you chose to use a Spray, make sure the unsticky edges of the mat are covered before you spray so they stay that way. You can YouTube "Reglue Cricut Mat" for the technique.
Hope this helps with the mat problems alot of reviewers are having. Rest asured, this is typical and normal issue and not at all exclusive to this machine or this mat.The Cameo is my first cutting machine, and I first have to say that it is an AMAZING machine, and that this review in no way reflects the quality of the machine or the Silhouette Studio software.
When I first set up my cameo, I was immediately discouraged. I used 65lb card stock and tried to cut a basic circle and the paper tore to shreds on the mat. I didn't think to make the mat "less sticky" by using a t shirt or towel, I just went for it. I had to wash the mat to get the rest of the torn paper off and accidentally removed some of the adhesive in the process. That was 2 weeks ago. Now, it is in the trash because it will not hold paper in place to save its life. I had problems with thin papers tearing, thick papers moving, and everything in between. I got some decent cuts with no extra effort about 1 week into the process, but that only lasted a few cuts. Also, there are no guides for more precise alignment for the rollers and the mat.
I was really disappointed in the flimsy quality as well. I tried the 12x12 Cricut mats today and there is no contest. The price is better because you get 2 for $11 and they are readily available at my local craft stores, and I have gotten beautiful cuts with it fresh out of the package. They also have a heavier feel to them and my thin papers cut beautifully with no tearing, and the black lines on the sides help line the mat up easier. I hope Silhouette can come out with a better solution.
Buy Silhouette Cameo Replacement Cutting Mat Now
It went from WAY TOO sticky to NOT STICKY AT ALL in less than 20 cuts. The first 5-8 cuts I made completely tore apart my cardstock. I tried Bazzill and Recollections cardstock, they were both shredded by this mat. Then I tried to de-sticky it by pressing a clean t-shirt on it. That helped me get about 8 more cuts out of it. Now it is so tackless that it won't hold anything and the paper shifts around while the Cameo is cutting. Complete fail by Silhouette. I bought a Cricut 12 inch mat that I'm going to try using with the Cameo. I've never had problems with Cricut mats before, so hopefully that will work.Read Best Reviews of Silhouette Cameo Replacement Cutting Mat Here
This is my second mat for my Silhouette Cameo. The first one lasted about 5 months. Sure it's sticky at first, but it "normalizes" soon. I love this mat for the 12x12 size and the 1" markings on it so that I can put multiple sheets of paper in different spots and know exactly where it will cut.For the person whose cardstock tore apart on this mat...you might want to look at your blade settings. You probably don't have them correctly set for depth or your blade needs replacing.The Silouette Cameo Replacement Mat was absoutely what I was hoping for and arrived much quicker than I expected. It was packaged very well and arrived in good shape. I would not hesitate to order another one when needed and fully expect to do so.



0 comments:
Post a Comment